Newagemugen
Newagemugen
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Newagemugen

We're The Best At What We Do - Runnin' The Mugen Underground Since 2010. Underground M.U.G.E.N community specializing in advanced Quality Mugen content, Fanart, Graphics, Fighting Games & more.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Homebrew for the Man Cave

+3
Vermilion Spy
xXEnchanter.ZuXx
Joe_Daddy1979
7 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Full Game Homebrew for the Man Cave Wed Dec 02, 2020 5:10 pm

Joe_Daddy1979

Homebrew for the Man Cave 49283851498_0631820187_o
Death Note (Wood)
Created Your first Forum Topic
Survivor (Gold)
Survived 3 Inactive Account Auto-purges

In my introduction I revealed that my son and I are working on a project to eventually put into an arcade box we'll build and put in the game room/ man cave.  He had never screwed with MUGEN, and I thought I hadn't since 2006/2007.  Well I found some old posts of mine on mugenfree4all from 2012, so I guess I was wrong.  Anyway, he has started animating sprites, and I've mostly been hunting down resources.  The beginners guides I've found here and other community sites have been amazing.
So we have not fully hashed out what our end game will be, but these are the things I know for sure, and would appreciate any inputs, lessons learned, pitfalls to avoid, resources to utilize, etc. that you are all willing to provide.
He likes:
Naruto
Death note
JoJo's bizarre
Persona

I like:
Mega Man and X
Castlevania
SF
MvC
Tekken
Seven Deadly Sins
HunterXHunter

Like to include at least 4 Characters from each series with at least 1 stage and one mp3 for each.  Starting with a simple 1v1 versus mode.

I know we will want to "plug and play" several of these things, but we'd also like to build some of our own from scratch, except music.

Having never done anything like this, I'd like to know how the community balances things like size differences, graphics quality, and is there a standard or bar for what makes a balanced character, an OP one and a broken one.

Assume we've never seen MUGEN.
What would be the min system requirements to run something smoothly, and what changes those requirements?
Where would you tell us to start, and what are your fav resources and why?
Thanks for whatever input you may provide in advance!

2Full Game Re: Homebrew for the Man Cave Fri Dec 04, 2020 12:21 am

xXEnchanter.ZuXx

xXEnchanter.ZuXx

Homebrew for the Man Cave 52117799409_ab650ff4e9_o
卍♆★Divine Overseer★♆卍
Verified Senior Forum support/assistant/curator
★★Pot Of Prosperity★★
Commissioned/Donated to support Newagemugen
The Greatest Showman (Platinum)
Created 40 or more Unique Topics
Survivor (Platinum)
Survived 6 Inactive Account Auto-purges
Apple Of The Eye (Platinum)
Recieved 60 or more likes from other Members
Kindred Spirit (Gold)
Liked 30 Forum posts
Lord Of War (Gold)
Obtained The Highest Tier 3 Warlord Class Rank

Joe_Daddy1979 wrote:
Assume we've never seen MUGEN.

Well ultimately, there are soooooooo many pieces of advice I could give, but as an old timer in the mugen game thats had a fair share of fun and giggles making screenpacks and characters (mostly within the King Of Fighters Mugen community) I can probably give you some advice and pointers via rhetorical hehe.

First and most important question will be what level are you looking to take your game to?
Second question would be how much time do you have to work on your project?
And the third question would be what are your personal limitations as far as skills as a coder, a graphic artist, and your PC hardware.

The answer to those will help you determine a realistic goal for what you will be able to achieve for your full game vs expectations.
In my humble opinion this is where most projects fail from the start.
They seem like a bit of good old fun at the beginning but they can end up becoming nothing but hard work and a drag if you are not careful

3Full Game Re: Homebrew for the Man Cave Fri Dec 04, 2020 1:14 am

Vermilion Spy

Vermilion Spy

Homebrew for the Man Cave 51937087073_50975dcb2f_o
卍♆★Divine Overseer★♆卍
Survivor (Platinum)
Lord Of War (Gold)
Kindred Spirit (Gold)
Liked 30 Forum posts

For the most part, mugen requires little to no system resources and can run on even the most basic PC unless you are looking to build an advanced mugen that utilizes High Definition resolution, advanced graphics and animations, with large character rosters, and 16/32bit png graphics.

While That tends to be the focus of most of our members here however it does not represent the wider community as everyone has their own preferences on quality and aesthetic style - some people like old school retro classic 8bit style games, others like Next-Gen technical advanced mugen content.

My suggestions would be for someone returning to mugen like yourself, to have a look at the different tiers of quality/style that are out there and make a call on what is realistic for yourself to aspire to. Learning and imitating what already exists is often easier than reinventing the mold.

Based on what you said, I will pretend you are completely new to mugen show you some high-end examples as well as some low-end examples.
This will give you a general idea of the current quality standards/preferences in mugen:

High End creations/Artists
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Low-end creations/artists
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

4Full Game Re: Homebrew for the Man Cave Sun Dec 06, 2020 9:28 am

Joe_Daddy1979

Death Note (Wood)
Survivor (Gold)

Thanks! You guys are awesome! I'm a fan of nostalgia, so I doubt I'll be pushing any super HD/4k /8k/in front of me real in life builds. I think we'll be good rocking up to about PS2/XBOX quality work for this project. Maybe dip a toe into the graphics generation after that. So far I've been learning as much as I can reading files and the tutorials that come with 1.1. Lot of educational stuff in there. Gearing up to tackle spr.mkr and try to do some bgs... I am wondering what the code would be to set a couple/three mp3s to play randomly at, say the title screen, so you don't always get same tune. Tried "bgm= sound/songname1.mp3, song name2.mp3, random" "bgm= sound/ random" and "sound/songname1.mp3, song name2.mp3
No luck. I could just create an mp3 medley, but it would still always be the same...

5Full Game Re: Homebrew for the Man Cave Wed Dec 09, 2020 10:33 pm

Phant0mD

Phant0mD

Homebrew for the Man Cave 52697050446_f068e68a44_o
卍♆★Divine Overseer★♆卍
★★Thousand Dragon★★
Posted over 1000 Messages
★★Pot Of Prosperity★★
Commissioned/Donated to support Newagemugen
Kindred Spirit (Gold)
Liked 30 Forum posts
Lord Of War (Gold)
★★Dark Master Of Fists★★
Newagemugen Member for over 10 Years

Joe_Daddy1979 wrote: I am wondering what the code would be to set a couple/three mp3s to play randomly at, say the title screen, so you don't always get same tune. Tried "bgm= sound/songname1.mp3, song name2.mp3, random" "bgm= sound/ random" and "sound/songname1.mp3, song name2.mp3
No luck.  I could just create an mp3 medley, but it would still always be the same...

hmmm thats the only issue with Mugen. Certain functionality it lacks, such as that random bgm function.
It is kinda a drag at times but we make do with what we have lol

________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
http://www.negative-edge.net

6Full Game Re: Homebrew for the Man Cave Thu Dec 10, 2020 8:28 am

Joe_Daddy1979

Death Note (Wood)
Survivor (Gold)

Update/follow up question:
If no random bg music command, is there a command for more than one bgm? Can mugen utilize other programs via its own code?
So far we've got about 25 stages, and a little over 100 chars. I was reading on here that 40-60 chars would be optimal? A good part of the currently loaded roster are dif versions of the same characters for play test purposes, so final roster will definitely be less. Found out that most of the Naruto characters, which my son loves Tobirama so have to include him, are JUS. Just learned about this, so maybe you guys can pass me some knowledge? My favorites are Ryu, Akuma, Kazuya, King, Strider, Megaman, X, Zero, Alucard(SOTN),Scorpion, Heihachi and Smoke. The fully functional ones of these i can find have been MvC/CvS styled for the most part. In fact, found few if any compatible/working MK, Tekken, MM/X characters. Should I attempt to make 2 games, is there a conversion method or helpful guide for size/move set conversion from JUS to what I'd call normal and vice versa? Should I just try to build the fighters I want in the format I want from scratch?

7Full Game Re: Homebrew for the Man Cave Thu Dec 10, 2020 10:34 am

✴Ex-Sirius✴

✴Ex-Sirius✴

Kindred Spirit (Gold)
Liked 30 Forum posts
卍♆★Divine Overseer★♆卍
Lord Of War (Gold)
Heaven's Door (Silver)
Created 20 or more Unique Topics
Survivor (Platinum)

Joe_Daddy1979 wrote:
If no random bg music command, is there a command for more than one bgm?  Can mugen utilize other programs via its own code?

Mugen is a closed source application. Elecbyte the developers, released the final Beta in 2013 and have been absent from the community ever since.
This means that if a feature is not listed as available inside the Mugen DOCS folder in your mugen directory, sadly it is not available.
You may want to have a read through there as you may find some helpful information and learn of features that were not available in mugen when you originally were using it years ago.

Joe_Daddy1979 wrote:Should I attempt to make 2 games, is there a conversion method or helpful guide for size/move set conversion from JUS to what I'd call normal and vice versa?  Should I just try to build the fighters I want in the format I want from scratch?

Sadly there's no cut/paste guide when it comes to character creation.
on the brightside there are more resources available on youtube and in forums and the updated mugen DOCS files that wouldnt have been around when you were using mugen many years ago.

As far as making 2 games and characters from scratch, it all depends on what your overall goal is and how much time you have daily/weekly to use on mugen. Building a character from scratch if you have never done it before will be a learning curve to say the least and will be 10s of 10s of hours work.
Something to keep i mind

8Full Game Re: Homebrew for the Man Cave Fri Dec 11, 2020 5:59 am

Joe_Daddy1979

Death Note (Wood)
Survivor (Gold)

xXEnchanter.ZuXx, Vermilion Spy, Phant0mD, ✴Ex-Sirius✴,
I really appreciate all of your responses. I retire in about a year and a half and like to think I'll have all kinds of time then😁. Not likely. These days I take leave so I can work, so I don't have bunches of time, but I have drive. This thing's on my bucket list. When I've created some original content(if?) I'll share and ask for criticism. My wife gave me some pretty good ideas for some bgs. I'm not super artsy, too logical, or at least my creative side has been stunted due to the need to cultivate the logical😂

9Full Game Re: Homebrew for the Man Cave Fri Dec 11, 2020 1:23 pm

Filthy Fredo

Filthy Fredo

Homebrew for the Man Cave 51631106195_34e64106bd_o
Kindred Spirit (Gold)
Liked 30 Forum posts
Survivor (Platinum)
Deadly Pen Pusher (Bronze)
Created 10 or more Unique Topics
卍♆★Divine Overseer★♆卍
Lord Of War (Gold)

Can we place bets on whether you complete an original fullgame by december 2021?
lol.

The Cosmic frog will get you!
Download My Mugen Stuff [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Joe_Daddy1979 likes this post

10Full Game Re: Homebrew for the Man Cave Mon Dec 14, 2020 12:09 pm

Joe_Daddy1979

Death Note (Wood)
Survivor (Gold)

Sure, but I'd bet against. I have no intention of creating a full, original game. I'm a giant shoulder stander!😂 I do want to create some original things for it though. Couple Bgs, I or 2 CHARS. and maybe some working original script/coding if I can advance that far...

11Full Game Re: Homebrew for the Man Cave Wed Mar 10, 2021 7:43 am

NAMTron

NAMTron

Homebrew for the Man Cave RjBqV68
卍♆★Divine Overseer★♆卍
Kindred Spirit (Silver)
Liked 15 Forum posts
Survivor (Platinum)
Lord Of War (Gold)
Idol Master (Gold)
Recieved 40 or more likes from other Members

no progress images or updates so im going to assume this is inactive. moving to graveyard

12Full Game Re: Homebrew for the Man Cave Thu Mar 11, 2021 8:43 am

Joe_Daddy1979

Death Note (Wood)
Survivor (Gold)

Sometimes you don't have time... speaking of, what's the standard for trashing a thread? 90 days does seem reasonable. Work has had me so busy I didn't realize it's March, and I haven't shared any progress because I have not created anything original yet... can this be resurrected when I do?

13Full Game Re: Homebrew for the Man Cave Thu Mar 11, 2021 1:53 pm

Vermilion Spy

Vermilion Spy

卍♆★Divine Overseer★♆卍
Survivor (Platinum)
Lord Of War (Gold)
Kindred Spirit (Gold)
Liked 30 Forum posts

I wouldn't worry.
It's just an inactive flag.
If you post progress it will automatically move back.
But just so you know, 90% of all mugen WIPs do end up here.
Unfortunately 95% of Mugen projects start and end as nothing more than weekend/holiday free time ambitions.
We see 9/10 people come here, create a post about a big project, then usually around the time school/xmas holidays end and people go back to school and work, those threads die and we don't see the thread owner ever again.
It's the same across all of mugen and always has been this way. It is what it is.
I wish you the best on your project and not the same sad fate.

Joe_Daddy1979 likes this post

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum